WHY THIS WORKS / WEARING STRIPES AND PALMS
today i'm talking about one of my favorite topics: mixing prints! i've gone through years of trial and error and honestly mixing patterns can be intimidating, especially if you're trying something new. but once i learned what to look for i was mixing prints like a champ -- all you need are a few tricks. so i thought it would be fun to start a new series that really shows why certain pattern combos just work.
this look from @erealouro has a great preppy-california-cool vibe and is super easy to recreate -- chances are you have a stripe top hiding in your closet right now, am i right? i probably have ten (at least), so we're off to a good start. here are a few things i always consider when i mix prints:
1. stripes are forever and always a neutral and will always go with everything, especially if it's a long-sleeve t-shirt.
2. keep your hair and makeup simple.
3. like stripes, florals are very universal and go with most prints. look for a floral pattern with a neutral color background like white, black, or brown so your outfit has a foundation. if it's an especially loud print like these palm pants, the black background will make it feel easier to style -- i know i never think twice about wearing all-black!
4. like makeup and hair, your accessories should somewhat blend in. try accessorizing with natural materials like a round straw bag. you'll achieve an effortless feel that won't compete with all of the patterns going on.
5. there is a hint of orange in the floral pant, which is unexpectedly worn with a pair of creamsicle-colored block sandals rather than something safe like black or brown. don't be afraid of color -- often that solid pop of color really completes the look.